Friday, October 30, 2009

Learning more, and more, about marketing ones art.

Sunset, watercolor on clayboard, 22"x30"


I am hungry for more information about how to market ones art. The "left brain" part of being creative is often a puzzle for me, but with the help of others interested in this phenomenon, I am starting to get the hang of it.






The main problem I have with being an artist, and having to market my work, is that the marketing takes away from the time I have for creating the art. I am learning about balance in this respect.






On Monday of this week, I went with my husband, mother-in-law and uncle to see a wonderful film, "Van Gough, brush with genius." It was in the IMAX format, and I can honestly say that I have never before seen his brush strokes so closely. The film was well presented with many clips of the breeze blowing the grasses in the fields around Provence in southern France, parts of Paris, views of his paintings within Musee d'Orsay, and Van Gough Museum in Amsterdam, and at the hospital in St. Remy, France. There was, also, a running, first person, narrative in the voice of Vincent Van Gough which made the film even more interesting.






One sentance from the film that stuck with me was that Van Gough only sold one painting while he was alive, and now his work sells in the millions of dollars for any one piece. How ironic. This did make me realize that my work has already out sold his, and I am still producing paintings.






Another point about marketing artwork is that the more "famous" painters have really good P.R. people to promote the person, the brand, and the art work. I don't have "people" to do that for me, yet. But, who knows, that could happen. In the mean time, I will continue to pursue shameless self promotion.






I do have work out in the public's eye right now, and I am participating in an upcoming exhibition with other artists November 10 - 12, 2009, presented by Restart Fine Arts at the Four Paces Gallery located in The Pace House, 3057 Paces Mill Road in the Vinings area of Atlanta, GA. More information can be found by clicking on http://www.restartfineart.com/






If you have reasonable suggestions for me about how to market my work, please share with me.






As always, I invite you to visit my web site, http://www.susieburch.com/.






See you soon, Susie

No comments:

Post a Comment