Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Why did I choose this subject?


Breakfast, March 3, 11"x14", oil
Last spring, 2009, I was searching for a subject for a new painting. I knew that I wanted to paint a still life, something from my home.
As I rolled the idea around in my head, I began to prepare breakfast for myself. I had been dieting--a never ending process for me--and I was very hungry.
After retrieving various items from my refrigerator, I began to cook a substantial meal that would take me all the way to the nights dinner.
The sun was shining, and the trees were all in their magnificent "new green" splendor when I sat down to enjoy the bounty on the kitchen table. As I cut into the hard boiled egg, I looked down at my plate. Here, before me, was the subject of my next painting. It had action. It had a familiar ring. It had color. It was perfect.
Not wanting to wait to eat, I grabbed my trusty digital camera and took the shot.
Later that morning, I printed the reference image from my computer and began to compose the painting. The actual job of applying paint to canvas did not take many hours, because it was a labor of love. I smile each time I see this piece, because it makes me feel good.
Often, the things we seek are right in front of us. All we have to do to find what we want in life is stop, be quiet, and look around us. Life is good!

See you soon, Susie

1 comment:

  1. Susie,

    Good for you! It's often a suprise to find out where inspiration will come from. Keep painting, it's the only way to improve. Feel free to visit my page as well at cscoginsart@blogspot.com. Look forward to seeing you, your work and maybe having the opportunity to share a little about your experiences.

    C. Scogins

    ReplyDelete